2007 Motobecane Messenger

I now own a new bicycle, a 2007 Motobecane Messenger. This is the first fixed-gear bicycle I’ve owned, and, even though I’m still adjusting to the different style of riding, I am truly enjoying it.

A fixed-gear bicycle is a single-speed bike without a freewheel. Whenever the bike is in motion, the pedals will also spin around. As such, it is not possible to coast on a fixed-gear bicycle.

Because of the lack of gears and levers found on conventional bikes, a fixed-gear is considerably lighter and has very pure, simplistic appearance. Due to the mechanics, your body feels like an extension of the bicycle. This results in a sense of a connection to the road beneath. It is a feeling that must be experienced.

I bought the bicycle from BikesDirect.com, a merchant I can now recommend after having a good purchasing experience. Because they sell factory direct, they are able to offer a significant discount.

My bike was delivered on Wednesday. After buying the necessary tools an supplies from Missing Link, I assembled the bike on Thursday, and took my first ride on Friday. A photograph of the bicycle can been viewed on Flickr.

Comments

Lonna Hanson
says:
May 21, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Glad you like your new bike. It sure looks COOL in the picture.
Mom

MCM
says:
May 28, 2007 at 7:52 PM

I like the bike, and glad I didn’t stop at Fellini today. You should be in charge of our web site. Very nice.

fearofnormalcy
says:
February 7, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Came across your blog by searching “Motobecane messenger”.

As another recent purchaser of a MotoMess, there’s a few few things you should know about your bike:

1. It’s not a real Motobecane. Real Motobecanes were made in France. The company discontinued it’s bicycle line in the 1980’s, and Bikes Direct bought the name (along with Windsor, Mercier, and Dawes, all old respected companies that fell on hard times). That doesn’t mean it’s TOTAL crap, but when the badge says “circa 1925″, I smell B.S.

2. Have the bike checked by a local bike shop! Mine came with some of the previously assembled parts assembled wrong. For your safety, I urge you to do this!

3. SOME OF THE PARTS ARE DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS!!! Sorry to yell, but the handlebars and stem are sub-par, and could fail while riding. PLEASE consider replacing these. Also, the cog is stamped (not machined), and the lockring is a joke. This could make skids perilous! Spend $12 or so on a Soma cog and a few more on a Dura-Ace lockring. Cheap, but reliable parts!

Here’s the good news: The frame is actually pretty decent. While not a “vintage” Moto, it’s not bad, and competitor’s framesets alone (KHS Flite 100, Pake, or EAI Bareknuckle) would’ve cost you at least around $400-$500.

Now all you have to do is replace some of those crap parts, and you’ve got one sexy fixie!

Hope this post helps. Drop me line if you need any advice!

Cheers,
Fear

ismellarat
says:
March 6, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Looks like the LBS found your blog… oooh fear the internet bike…. support your lbs…… lol

jen
says:
March 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Hey –

I’m a big mountain biker and occasionally rode bike. I was looking into buying a single speed and found the motobecane messenger on bikes direct. I was looking up reviews and came across yours.

I just wanted to see if you’re still happy with the bike, like the quality, or have any regrets, etc? It seems like your experience was good with them. So, would you recommend the purchase?

Thanks!
jen

Jared Hanson
says:
March 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Jen -

I am still very happy with the bike. I’ve ridden it to work every day for almost a year, and it has held up well.

As the fearofnormalcy points out in the a comment above, some of the parts are on the low-end. I’d agree that the stem and handlebars should be considered for replacement. That said, however, I’m still riding everything stock, as shipped.

Regarding BikesDirect.com, I had a great experience, and have no issues with recommending them. I’m planning on purchasing a second commuter, so I’ll be free to tear a bike down and still have transportation. If I order online, rather than from a local shop, I’ll probably purchase from them again.

solbrothers
says:
March 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM

w00t!! i ordered my motomess from bikesdirect today. can’t wait to get it. it’ll be my first bike since my bmx bike from when i was a kid lol.

fearofnormalcy
says:
April 13, 2008 at 12:59 PM

glad you’re enjoying the bike!

thought i’d share what mine looks like these days: http://fixedgeargallery.com/2008/feb/3/JamesTomasino.htm

(i’ve since put on a fizik pave saddle. way more comfortable than stock!)

keep riding! stay fixed!