The numbers give you a sense of the enormous impact technology has on the world.
Technology’s most obvious impact has been on the way we communicate. Take a look at the numbers pertaining to email, blogging, and tweeting.
- 107 trillion emails were sent last year
- 152 million blogs are active today
- 50,000 blogs get created every single day
- 25 billion tweets were broadcast last year
- 150 million people use Twitter
Technology companies, harnessing network effects, have reached the size of the largest governments and economies in the world. This will have profound impacts on society, and only now are we confronting these issues.
- The combined market capitalazation of IBM, HP, Microsoft, Apple, and Google is $1 trillion
- 14 countries have a GDP more than $1 trillion
- 190 countries have a GDP less than $1 trillion
- If Facebook was a country, it would be the 3rd largest in the world
- 650 million people have accounts on Facebook
- Facebook is projected to reach 1 billion accounts later this year
While people are increasing connected to the network, machines are as well. Data collected from sensors is increasing at an enormous rate.
- The Large Hadron Collider collects 1TB of data per second
At the same time these numbers are increasing, the time it takes to adopt new technology is decreasing.
- Radio took 38 years to reach 50 million people
- TV took 13 years to reach 50 million people
- The Internet took 4 years to reach 50 million people
The video is full of interesting statistics. Imagine what the statistics will be in 5 or 10 years.
/via O’Reilly Radar